Maybe you’ve already discovered it at the market in the last few weeks: it’s rhubarb time again! From April until the end of June, you still have time to stock up on the vegetable and conjure up delicious, sweet-sour desserts with it. Yep, that’s right – botanically speaking, rhubarb is not a fruit.
These delicious vegan vanilla waffles are a snap to make, and you can easily top them with rhubarb compote and cold vegan cottage cheese. Depending on whether you prefer it more sour or sweet, you can season the compote with sugar to taste. We used a relatively large waffle iron for the recipe and therefore only got out five waffles. This varies, of course, depending on the size of your waffle iron.
In case you run across this recipe in the fall or winter and still get a craving for vegan vanilla waffles, you can of course still make them. Just enjoy them plain, with chocolate cream or vegan whipped cream and replace the rhubarb compote with applesauce. In summer, of course, they taste great with many other seasonal fruits. Get creative and try a bit.
For the waffles:
- 290 g wheat flour type 405
- 50 g cane sugar
- 8 g (1.5 tsp) baking powder
- 8 g (1.5 tsp) vanilla sugar
- 2 vanilla pods
- 200 ml vegetable milk
- 15 ml (2 tbsp) neutral vegetable oil
- 100 ml sparkling water
For the rhubarb compote:
- 500 g rhubarb
- 50 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 500 g vegan curd cheese
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- Clean the rhubarb with a brush, remove the woody ends and chop the remaining stalks.
- Put the rhubarb pieces in a pot or high pan with sugar, water and a pinch of salt and simmer for about 10 minutes. If the compote is too thick, add a little more water. You should be able to mash the rhubarb very easily at the end. Season the compote with sugar and remove from the heat. You can serve it lukewarm or cold with the waffles. If you prefer it warm, leave the compote on the stove at low heat.
- While the compote is simmering, prepare the waffles. Mix the flour, cane sugar, baking powder and vanilla sugar in a large bowl. Cut the vanilla beans in half with a sharp knife and scrape out the vanilla pulp with the back of the knife and add to the bowl as well. Add vegetable milk, vegetable oil and sparkling water and mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Heat the waffle iron, grease with vegetable oil and bake the waffles one by one until golden brown.
- Top the waffles with vegan cottage cheese and rhubarb compote and serve while still warm.